The SPIO vest is ideal for children with poor core muscle activation, stabilization or weakness. Children with the diagnosis of Severe Axial Hypotonia, Athetoid Quadriplegia, Spinal Muscular Atrophy, or Benign Anterior Horn Cell Disease may benefit from the use of the SPIO vest as well as those with severe sensory processing needs.
SPIO is a highly flexible bracing system made from a specialized multi-directional stretch. The Lycra-like blend of material has excellent rebound and memory so that it returns to its original shape.
SPIO’s patented compression provide a multi-directional and steady stretch tension directly to the skin and indirectly to the internal soft tissue structures. This precise compression around and toward the midline of the body provides accurate and usable deep pressure sensory information to the child’s proprioceptive feedback system, resulting in improved positional limb and body awareness, improved core muscle and joint stabilization, and increased precision of muscle activation and movement.
• Provides shoulder-trunk-hip stability and mid-line orientation
• Increases body awareness
• Excellent trial orthosis
• To permit maximum freedom of movement in situations of neuromuscular
scoliosis, the SPIO vest can also be used in conjunction with a very flexible custom molded Thoracic Lumbar Sacral Orthosis (TLSO) back to which the front portion can be attached and adjusted.
• Vest is adjustable to provide optimal cylindrical chest, abdominal, and pelvic compression to assist core muscle activation and stabilization.
• Great tool to assist with Hippotherapy treatment.
• Standard double layer compression around the shoulder, trunk, pelvis, and hips.
• Front panel attaches to neoprene back with hook and loop tabs.
• Shoulder extensions are individually adjusted for tension and angle of pull
Worn down over the hips and anchored with a strap that fastens between the legs to prevent upward creeping on the trunk.
• Sizes V51 and larger are made with a fully removable crotch strap/tab for toileting.
• Back Panel is made of a semi rigid but flexible velcro-sensitive 1mm neoprene that adjusts to front portion with hook and loop tabs.
• Optional Thermoplast Back Panel is available upon request for an additional charge.
• Neoprene back panel is perforated to reduce overheating.
*** NOTE: The use of any compression-type orthotic system such as SPIO™ should be discussed with your clinician prior to using.
* Measurements should be taken with child lying down. Measurements are taken in centimeters. If measurement is between sizes, round up in size for growth.
High tone children may need smaller size.
You should be able to place your hand between the child’s body (in the trunk area) and SPIO and feel significant resistance when you pull your hand away from the child’s body. Approximately an inch resistance is adequate. More and it’s too loose, less and it’s too tight.
Make sure sleeves turned properly so they are not twisted as this can cause a bad fit in the armpit area.
When you receive the SPIO try it on first before you decide it’s too small. It will look too small, but may not be. If it is the same size as the child’s regular t-shirt, it is too big and you are not getting any compression.
After donning the SPIO, watch the child’s reaction to the SPIO. If they get red marks under their arms, or on their skin at the sides, it may be too small and you will want to exchange the SPIO for next larger size.
SIZES: (Based on Chest Circumference = measured at nipple line)
S41 = C 41cm
S44 = C 44cm
S47 = C 47cm
S51 = C 51cm
S54 = C 54cm
S60 = C 60cm
S67 = C 67cm
*Available in-stock in Black.
MADE IN THE USA
*NOTE: Free or Expedited Shipping is not available for this product. This item ships directly from the manufacturer and can only be shipped within the Continental US (We are unable to ship SPIO products Canada).